
I live with two Penny Lanes. They are Groupies....for DADDY.
Every time I walk into their room in the morning, they look around me and say "Dada" as in "Move so I can see if the Big Guy is here." If they make 'phone calls' they always call "Dada" and if I ask them who they think we are going to see today they always reply "Dada." "Dada" is actually said "Da daaaaaa" in a whispery, excited, amazed, wondrous, and almost secretive tone, like if they say it outloud it might not come true. Conversely, they say "mama" with complete certainty and no intonation whatsoever.
It is like the difference between me being asked who is at the front door and answering "the UPS man" vs. "George Clooney." The UPS man is reliable, omnipresent, and totally boring. George Clooney is...we'll he's freakin' GEORGE CLOONEY!
Every time I walk into their room in the morning, they look around me and say "Dada" as in "Move so I can see if the Big Guy is here." If they make 'phone calls' they always call "Dada" and if I ask them who they think we are going to see today they always reply "Dada." "Dada" is actually said "Da daaaaaa" in a whispery, excited, amazed, wondrous, and almost secretive tone, like if they say it outloud it might not come true. Conversely, they say "mama" with complete certainty and no intonation whatsoever.
It is like the difference between me being asked who is at the front door and answering "the UPS man" vs. "George Clooney." The UPS man is reliable, omnipresent, and totally boring. George Clooney is...we'll he's freakin' GEORGE CLOONEY!
So I'm sorry ladies--your Golden God is currently out of town again, but I'm sure he'll swing by here for a pitstop between tour dates.

No comments:
Post a Comment