Thursday, July 26, 2007

Thanks for the Memories

Dear Maxima,

After 11 years in Andrew's life and 7 years in mine, it is time to say our farewells and go our separate ways.

Like me, you came to the relationship with some bagggage--you had survived two near-death accidents (one in which you pulled a General Lee and shot over a fence--airborne--and landed in a forest). But we found a way to make it work. You didn't get mad at me when Ben Erwin and I requested Double Pina Colada scent at the car wash (although you did make Andrew smell like a lush for months afterward, and when it's hot out I can still get a whiff of paradise--6 years later). You tried to keep my secret when I scraped your side, thinking I'd gotten away with it because there was already a big scrape there. It wasn't your fault that Andrew figured it out because it was, in fact, the OTHER side of the car that I had scraped. You didn't complain when we uprooted you--you've called 5 states home and have driven through 21 others. Rain (CA) or snow (UT), extreme heat (TX) or freezing cold (MA)--you did good.

I'll miss you--even though it took me about a year to realize that you were dark green and not black (you can blame your owner for that). I'll even miss your distinct smell--a mix of mildew (from your leaking/broken sunroof), pina colada, and dip spit.

Please know, my dearest Maxima, that while I'm excited that Andrew now has a car that doesn't embarrass his work colleagues, you will always hold a special place in my heart. You will always remind me of my adventures with Andrew pre-children.

Goodbye, and good luck.

No comments: