Monday, July 23, 2007

NYC

This past weekend was the first time I'd spent more than a night away from C and D since they escaped the NICU. We went to NYC for Marsha's (Andrew's mother) 60th birthday celebration. I was a little stressed about flying with Andrew, but luckily United gave me a 5 hour delay to think about how much safer we are in a plane than in a car.

Aside from a painful delay (although it would have been much more painful w/ 2 toddlers), we had a wonderful trip. We were treated to some amazing dinners (one in which we were given a special tour of the kitchen after they almost gave Andrew's brother Bradley--who is deathly allergic to pinenuts--pinenuts. Sort of a "we're sorry we almost killed your son" tour), we went to the Met, we saw some friends, and the girls got spa treastments while the boys played golf. Thanks to Sam and Marsha (who asked for it as part of her birthday celebration!), Ali and I were also treated to a shoe shopping experience at Bergdorf's that I am getting goosebumps just writing about...it was the closest I will ever come to living "Sex and the City." It was like being a kid in the most incredible candy score. A little of the old Molly got to come out and play. It was thrilling.

As much as I hated to leave the monkeys, it is nice to take a bit of a break from your life, to remember what it feels like to be lazy, to not have to look at the clock all day to know if it is time for food, a nap, music class, etc. And it was nice to get some Andrew/Molly time.


The irony of the weekend was that I had worried so much about leaving C/D, but once I did I was able to relax, knowing that they were in great hands with my mother and Chris. Turns out my fears were justified. The first night we were away there was an earthquake...with its epicenter 2 blocks from my Mom's house. They woke up to shaking and glass shattering all over the house. The glass ceiling lamp that had been in my room since the house was built in 1932 had fallen and shattered...within inches of D's head. I won't go into any more details, but let's just say that it was extremely traumatic for my mother, and I appreciate that since D was completely fine she didn't tell me about it until after I had returned. I probably would have gotten on the first flight home.


Here's a pic of us in NYC...the only tragedy is that you can't see our shoes!!

No comments: