Yesterday Andrew and I went our separate ways for the afternoon and we each took a munchkin. Andrew took D to the All Star pregame festivities, and I took C to visit Serena and her new baby girl and to Whole Foods. We got to see how the other half lives, and by other half I mean people who have one kid at a time. It was, in a word, amazing.With one kid, they play quietly with one thing for up to 15 minutes because no one else is coming up to them grabbing said activity away! You can hold one kid while you do something else! With one kid you don't have to drag the stroller out EVERY TIME you go ANYWHERE. You can actually go to the grocery store w/o using babysitter time, and it is kinda fun! You can just hop out of the car and take the kid with you! You get to give all of your attention to ONE kid! You can hold conversations with other people for several minutes at a time! I had no idea what I was missing.
Before you kick me off my "Twins Mom" Soapbox, let me say that the experience made me wonder if having twins makes me a worse mother. I get a lot less bonding time with each kid. I spend most of my time trying to figure out how to occupy them so I can get something incredibly basic done. I wouldn't trade having twins for anything in the world, but sometimes when I wonder what it is I'm doing wrong that makes it difficult for me to get anything accomplished in a given day, it makes me feel a little better to know how the "other half" lives.
Then again, what's the fun of getting anything accomplished when you can play "fire truck"....

No comments:
Post a Comment