When I found out that I was having twin girls I'll admit that I was a little freaked out. All of the identical twin girls I knew growing up were A) weird and B) super girly. Nowadays with all the Princess cr*p out there I fear 'girliness' even more.
Thus, from the beginning I have tried not to push D/C into all the "girliness" that is out there. I want them to feel that they can do ANYTHING they want. But lately I'm wondering if maybe I'm going a bit too far. I mean I know that at this age they have very limited gender associations anyway, but there are certain differences that seem to come up even now. For example, most of the little girls I see love to ride the swings (mine hate it) and read books (mine can't sit still long enough), and they don't wrestle or climb on top of each other...
The other day I took the girls to storybook time at a nearby store. All the little kids there were sitting on chairs or in laps happily listening (even the boys were calm). C/D looked around the store at the ride on toys, looked at the storyteller, and then looked at me in disgust, as if to say "you really expect us to sit and listen to THIS (granted, it was a lame book and she wasn't the most animated reader ever) when we could be climbing these trikes??!!" They then proceeded to take turns sitting on anything they could possibly 'ride' in the store. It was kind of embarrassing to have the other parents looking at me like "wow, what's up with your kids?"
So anyway, if years from now I'm blogging about how D and C love the WNBA, can't get enough of Uncle Sameer's old Indigo Girls cds, and are begging us to buy them Subaru Outbacks, you'll know that I more than succeeded in not making them 'too girly...' (not that there's anything wrong with that)
Wednesday, July 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment