Sunday, June 10, 2007

Time it Was...

If my life ever has to "flash" in front of my eyes I hope that today is one of the memories I see.

We went over to the East Bay to Tilden Park, where we rode the train and the carousel. The girls LOVED it. It was of course much better weather in the East Bay, prompting the age old question "why do we live in San Francisco?" First we went to the steam train. We rode through the hills and went through tunnels. C/D were fascinated by the train and thrilled every time the whistle blew and steam bellowed out.


Then we drove the winding road to the carousel, a carousel that was built in 1911 and still had the ring machine when I went there as a kid (it no longer does). C shrieked as we waited in line, she was so excited. The first time around there were a lot of "whoas" from C. The minute they were done they started frantically signing "more more!" (Here's C w/ a lot of "whoas"...yes her mother is an idiot and always forgets that you can't 'flip' vertical videos)




After Tilden Park we stopped by my mom's house and played a little bit in the yard. Then we headed back to SF and had dinner at Tortilla Heights and went home. All in all a wonderful, almost magical day. Perhaps what I liked the most was the fascination and wonder in their eyes at something so seemingly simple. (It's like the weird thrill I get from watching them pass up an electronic toy with bells and whistles for the Jack in the Box--now if only I could keep them away from the Wiggles and all that other junk forever).

You might have to be a mother---or the mother of D--to enjoy this video. But the little smile on her face that she flashes at the end makes my heart melt. She's in heaven, and so am I as a result.

No comments: