On Friday we went on a tour of Mrs. Grossman's Sticker Factory. It was pretty cool, although the 20 minute video at the beginning of the tour that included a discussion of "sales and accounts payable" was a little much. D and C liked the tour--the machines, the rolls of stickers, the huge barrels of ink--and they LOVED the sticker store.
I let them each pick out 3 stickers. C chose mermaids, wands, and fairies. D chose NASA astronauts, pirate treasure chests, and giraffes. Sometimes I get angry at myself for being so anti-princess--or for thinking D's choices are more interesting than C's. I just wish it didn't end up at 'princess,' because where I come from, calling someone a 'princess' has a negative connotation. But if C wants to be all about pink and princesses, then by all means I want to let her. I love her girlishness and I need to learn to celebrate it as much as I want to celebrate D's quirkiness.
Damn you Disney.
Sunday, June 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment