Saturday, October 25, 2008

Sisterhood

Awhile ago I heard my friend Krista say to her older daughter when she was relaying a misstep of her younger sister "Don't tattle on your sister. Sisters take care of each other." It left a mark on me because I think teaching your children to look after each other is so critical but also really difficult to do. One of my biggest fears when I found out that I was going to have twin girls was that they might not get along and I knew how tough that would be--for them and for me. Well...


.....C and D lied to me for the first time today (at least as far as I know). And they did it to protect each other.

We have been dealing with some hitting and biting issues lately. We finally said that if they hit or bit each other again we'd take their coveted animals away for a night (btw, bad call in the end, but that is another story). Today I heard screaming and ran in to see C crying and saying "D bit me!" I asked D if she bit her sister and she said yes. So I said, "You know what that means--you lose your animals for the night."

C starts wailing even harder: "Noooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dylan needs to sleep with her animals!! Or she will be so sad!!" Then: "It was an accident!!!"

She vehemently argued that it was an accident and thus Dylan shouldn't lose her animals. D jumped on the bandwagon. I reluctantly acquiesced.

Andrew worries that we are screwed in high school. But I don't think they will willingly 'cover' for each other if one of them is off doing crack. Going to a keg party, maybe. But nothing too evil. Personally, I'd much rather have them looking out for each other than looking to 'out' each other.

No comments: