Thursday, October 09, 2008

Arrival of the "Jet Girls"

C, A, and D

C
D with her airplane shirt on

Fleet Week is upon us.... one of the best weekends of the year here!! Maybe you have to like jets, the military, and Top Gun to enjoy it. Andrew and I like it all. We love the sound of the planes flying overhead. We love taking C/D to see the Blue Angels fly. We love that it is consistently spectacular weather on this weekend (apparently they have Fleet Week this weekend because it is historically the sunniest weekend of the year--and it hasn't failed us yet).

The girls call them the "jet girls" because we see a jet that flies over Tehama when we swim there, and we talk a lot about the "jet girl" flying in it and what she is doing. They get a little scared of the noise at times, especially when they can't see them but only hear them (my favorite part of the weekend is actually the Thursday and Friday before, when they are out practicing and all of a sudden this jet cruises right over your head as you are walking to the park). But the really enjoyed the shows both days. And on Sunday morning Andrew took them to the kids area where they practically had 8 bouncy houses and 5 bouncy slides and more all to themselves. They were in HEAVEN.


Krista made the very good point that it is a terrible waste of energy and terrible for the environment (basically negates all our hard work to use less energy in one weekend). Really good point. Problem is that my selfish thought is "I live in one the most expensive cities in the world (not to mention one of the most eco-friendly). I freakin' deserve a weekend of basically free fun like this." Totally wrong of me, but definitely what I thought.

We have managed to take a family photo every year since C/D were born. I almost didn't post these because I look so freakin' bad in the one this year (fat, pale, etc). But I figure it will give me something to shoot for next year--to look better.
2006 D in my arms
2007 C in my arms
2008--C in A's arms. The plane yous see in the back is the one that flies right before the Blue Angels to check everything out.

No comments: