The problem with twins is that while you want them to be individuals and have their own talents, you also never want one of them to feel bad because the other is ahead of her/better than her at something. So when you hear something good about one, you both celebrate it and worry about its effect on the other one. Or at least I do.
The other day at swimming they said that C was about ready to receive a 'green ribbon.' I'm not completely sure, but I think it means you can hold your breath and kick underwater. Of course I was excited for C, but at the same time I cringed, thinking "What about D? How will she feel when her sister gets it and she doesn't?"
Andrew's take was "Well that is going to happen a lot." He's right. And my guess is that D may not even care. She'll be happy for C, and then C will be happy for her when she gets it. So far they are so sweet and wonderful that way. But with D's physical delays I worry that it will always be C first. Regardless, I'm going to need to learn how to celebrate one's achievements w/o making the other feel bad. I'm so worried that I'll screw this kind of thing up (and if I do, I KNOW they will remember and it will haunt me forever).
Saturday, October 04, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment