So we did finally make it to Utah, just in time for me to get sick. For a few days, including my birthday, I felt pretty awful and didn't ski. I tried to look at the very bright side, which was that a year ago I was on my way to dinner on my birthday when my doctor called, told me i'd tested positive for the fetal fibronectin test, and that I needed to go to full bedrest immediately. I spent the next week in the hospital praying that I didn't go into labor. So, sickness and sleep deprivation look pretty good comparatively.The only tough thing about this birthday is that at some point in this year I will hit a day (prob Oct/Nov) when I will have lived my life longer with my father dead than alive. That sounds so absolutely crazy to me, but I was 17 when he died and this year will be 17 years since his death. I don't like it, and I miss him.
But on to brighter topics...
So I only got to ski a half day, which was just enough time to remind me how much I love to ski and to get me super excited to ski with my girls in years to come. As far as travel goes, Utah is about as easy as it gets for us (well, unless you miss your flight). I also got to ski with MacKenzie, which is always a blast. Unfortunately, I hadn't seen her in awhile so I wanted to talk to her as much as I wanted to ski with her. At the end of the day Andrew looks at me and says "man, you two never stopped talking the entire time." He looked exhausted FOR us. We then had a 'playdate' with Peyton, who is still gorgeous and running around like a true toddler to boot. We also went to dinner with MacKenzie and Andy and heard all about the house they (by they I mean Andy) are building and lots of other things. Spending time with my Austin friends always makes me feel like an idiot for living in SF and paying absurd amounts to live in very small spaces.
So on NYE we flew home the same roundabout way we came (and sat near several people who had also missed flights out of OAK on the 26th) and got home in just enough time to head over to the Glotzbachs. Waiting for us were the Glotzbachs, the Greens, and the Roystons. Yes, we finally got to meet Benjamin! Ben is absolutely adorable..he is like a little scott with a tan. He has a VERY sweet little smile and he uses his tongue better than Michael Jordan. We had a great time listening to DR tell stories and it would have been even better if Andrew and I could have made it 'till midnight. I wish we could have spent more time together but it was great to see them nonetheless (and DR and I can rendezvous someday at a remote spa to get our tummy tucks).
So the wild ride of 2006 is over. It started out with me in the hospital and ended with two beautiful little girls who make us laugh and smile every day.
So, I'm never very good at keeping resolutions, but in the spirit of fresh starts:
--I'll remember that the girls will never be 350 days old again, 351 days old again, etc. I'll remember that even though it seems like time is going slowly and my life is full of a lot of the same, that someday the dinners, walks, and trips to the park will all mesh together and seem like they went way too fast. I'll remember that one day I'll dearly miss having little hands grab my pants legs and little bodies bounce up and down when I go to pick them up.
--I'll take a little more time for me, and by me I mean both me, and Andrew and me. These two resolutions seem contradictory but I don't think they are... when I really start to feel bad physically and mentally I am a worse mother and a worse wife. I'd love to lose the last 5lbs, but even if I don't, I'd rather just feel physically fit again. I want to run a half marathon this year, and I want to take a bit more time to remember that I'm not just a mother, but a person on my own too. And I swear that if I ever fit in all my pre-pregnancy jeans again I will NEVER NEVER complain about my weight again.
--I had many more, but I think they all probably boil down to the first two. Oh, and write more in the blog!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment