Monday, January 15, 2007

I am a Golden God

Ok, not true, but great movie! And so while I might not be a Golden God, I am a Milk Machine. This week will mark a year that I have been nursing the girls... There are a lot of things that I have and will do wrong in my life. There are a lot of things that I will do to screw them up, but in this case I'm pretty sure I got it right. Other than a few teaspoons of formula put in their milk in the very beginning to help them get to fighting weights, the girls will never have had anything but breastmilk in their first year. While that makes them smaller right now (breastmilk babies are usually smaller until they start getting real milk) I hope it also helps prevent allergies, something they are at great risk of given their prematurity (and the fact that the Dodson family tends to swim in the shallow end of the gene pool in this arena).

I'm a pretty selfish person and I think breastfeeding was the first big step I took towards being a more selfless person. My rack sags terribly (two babies for a freakin' year...DR sign me up for the breast lift AND the tummy tuck) and I still carry extra weight that may or may not come off when I wean. It has been a great lesson for a vain person (maybe too good, I need to start stepping it up a notch... you know it is bad when we do Quicken and Andrew doesn't even mention the "molly clothing" category because it has gotten so, so much smaller---sadly it's the GROCERY and KIDS EQUIPMENT categories that have ratcheted it up about 50 notches). And I KNOW the day will come when one of my girls makes a critical comment about my body and it is going to take EVERY BONE IN MY BODY not to yell "BUT I DID IT FOR YOU, you little ....!!"

I know that there are people who really struggle w/ breastfeeding and I am not trying to say it makes me a better mother...it is just that you don't get a lot of clear "wins" in life as a mom, and you have to take it where you can get it. So yeah me : )

No comments: