Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Pooping Diamonds


Today I was going to go and get the ingredients to bake the girls cupcakes for their first birthday, and pick up a little last gift for them because I don't really have anything for them tomorrow (at least nothing they can play with immediately).

No dice. In the morning I had to work a few hours, so I planned to take care of the errands in the afternoon. Instead, about 20 minutes after K (babysitter) left I got a frantic call from her. She had lost her engagement ring. To make a long, crazy story short, we spent the rest of the day and evening looking EVERYWHERE for her ring, and in this case EVERYWHERE included an x-ray of little charlotte's stomach because K thought she might have swallowed it. She didn't (and when I was at the CPMC Krista called me, I told her the situation, and her response was "Molly you'll do anything for a good blog entry. : ))

A little background on my K....she is not your typical babysitter/nanny. She is 25, very pretty, and smart--graduated from Berkeley and is getting her masters in speech pathology. I love her because she is great with the munchkins---she plays actively with them, she does sign language with them, and she's really interested in their development (she even asked to attend d's last developmental checkup). I have learned several things from her in terms of speech development.

A few weeks ago she got engaged to her long time boyfriend. They own an apartment down the street from us (they live a better life than we do!). They are getting married in September and they are really excited about it. Her ring was too big but she hadn't sized it down yet. And then today she took her ring off to do the dishes, and it disappeared. So the poor thing understandably spent the day TEARING through the house, and I think over time she convinced herself that charlotte had swallowed it (and the longer i thought about it, the more I knew I'd spend all night wondering if Charlotte was about to poop out a diamond).

Of course now we're both feeling awful for giving C an x-ray unnecessarily... but we had really convinced ourselves that Charlotte had swallowed it (I think she kinda wanted to). So now I keep walking around waiting for a diamond to fall out of something...at least not having to include charlotte's 'bum' in that something is a good thing. Still, rookie mom move...

No comments: