Friday, June 30, 2006

First Fight



The girls had their first fight yesterday. I put them in the crib in the morning underneath the mobile--this usually gives me five minutes to wash the bottles from the night before. About a minute after putting them in there I hear a piercing cry followed by a blood curdling scream. I ran in to find Charlotte looking very innocent as her hand dug into Dylan's head. Whether she had pulled hair or dug nails into the scalp I don't know, but Dylan did NOT like it. I quickly picked up Dylan, only to have Charlotte look at me like "Hey, what's wrong with me? What did I do?" As Andrew said, it was a vision of our future ('she pulled my hair!' 'she scratched me!')

I think there is one thing that Dylan might actually get a chance to do before her sister: roll over. Not only does she seem to like to try it more, but since she is a little bit leaner than her chubbier counterpart, she has less to roll over. i'm sorta pushing for her since she has been the also-ran on so many other things.

I think I have figured out what the hardest part of being a mother of twins is: not being able to hold your baby as much as she (and you) would like. Sometimes I seriously wish that I had a third arm. The girls are getting big enough now that I really can't hold them both comfortably until they can hold themselves up on my hip (and that isn't exactly a soothing position). It makes me sad because I know that this time in their lives is so fleeting and soon they won't want to be held all the time. I'm trying to find times when I can hold them individually while the other plays in front of me. Today I found a way to put one between my legs and one propped on my hand. It's a start, but it isn't the same as really holding them. I know I have no right to complain when I have two amazing little girls who want me to hold them, but there are things about having twins that I never even thought about until I had them.

So my head is so stuffed it feels like it weighs 100 lbs. I don't know how I got so sick so fast. Andrew is in LA for two nights and then leaves again Tuesday for 4 nights so I'm REALLY hoping that I get better quickly. I am about to go to bed and I'm really hoping that the girls have a decent night tonight. Ahh, what a rager I am... 8:20pm on a Friday night and I'm about to hop into bed.

More pics, and yes, I know they are dressed very similarly, but we got these outfits as a gift and they were just too cute.

No comments: