Thursday, June 15, 2006

It just keeps getting better...


So people tell me this a lot. Usually, however, these people are singleton mothers... not that they don't know that it does get better, but sometimes I just doubt they know how "bad" it can actually get. That is why it is so comforting to talk to other twins' mothers. I met a twins mother on the street the other day who said "I really didn't enjoy the first three months with my boys." A lot of singleton mothers might think she was horrible for saying that... twins mothers know exactly how she feels...

Case in point. This past week I went to a mother of twins meeting and one of the new mothers was in tears. She felt like a 'cow' with the whole breastfeeding thing and was trying to juggle two new babies while at the same time trying to maintain a decent milk supply. She found tandem feeding way too hard. Her babies are one week adjusted. I knew EXACTLY how she felt. When the girls were negative one day adjusted I sent out a message asking for advice about tandem feeding because I was in tears over how hard it was and I felt like such a bad mother. Everyone said that it would get better at about three months old. Listening to this poor, exhausted mother I realized that they were right...it got a LOT better at about 3 months. Latching on was easy, I didn't have to break my back leaning over so they could reach me, and they were finished in 10 minutes instead of 25. I felt awful for this woman, but it made me smile to realize that now I was one of those people who could reassure a twin mom that "trust me, it gets a lot better."

Yes, it does get better. Not only because it gets easier, but as they get personalities it becomes that much more rewarding. Don't get me wrong..I'd still kill for a few hours to myself, but if the girls are going to sleep only 10 minutes at the same time, at least when I go to pick them up they give me a huge grin and I can't help but grinning right back at them! Now if we could only get Charlotte to stop talking long enough to eat or sleep : )

No comments: