Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sparkles, Fish Shirts, and Twirl Skirts

.
I know one thing I will appreciate with Bedo---the time when I can dress her/him however I want. Because that ship has DEFINITELY sailed with the monkeys.

C and (especially) D have very strong opinions about what they want to wear, and in D's case that usually translates to "not very cute."

D likes every random t-shirt she's every received, especially if it is blue, brown, or black. I got these not very cute blue shirts from their swim school for free. Every morning she wakes up and asks "Can I wear my fish shirt?" I tell her it is dirty. Then she asks, "Can I wear Charlotte's fish shirt?" The only thing she likes more than the fish shirt is the Cal Berkeley shirts she's gotten from Uncle Todd and Papa. "Can I wear my Oskie shirt?" It's like she's purposefully taunting me, but I am not going to bother buying her a Stanford shirt in the hopes of competing--why would any kid want to wear a shirt with a tree on it when she can wear a shirt with a bear on it? Other favs are the black butterfly shirt and and the blue airplane shirt. Basically she likes tshirts, and then god knows what else she decides she wants to wear with it that day.

D will also wear anything 'giraffe'--her assortment now includes a giraffe dress, swimsuit, and shorts (that she found on a clearance rack while we were buying a gift at Janie and Jack--she'd stripped down to her Thomas underwear trying to put them on before I even knew what was happening).

The one thing D likes that I might be able to work with is "twirl skirts." She likes to spin around and watch the skirt fly up. Unfortunately, we only have one skirt that qualifies for that right now. Maybe Santa will find some more for her. (Not that she will want them if it comes from him. They hate Santa. I say "Santa's nice" and D says "No he's not. He tried to carry me." God help the person who tries to carry D when she doesn't want it).

C likes anything pink and anything that sparkles. I gave her new barrettes for school and the first thing she said when she saw them was (forlornly) "But Mommy, they don't sparkle." If it is pink she is in. They have new shoes from MaeMae and D's sparkles and C's don't, and we'll walk to the park and she'll keep saying sadly "My shoes don't sparkle in the sun." She loves her sparkle #2 shirt and can't wait to wear a sparkle #3. She also likes anything with mermaids on it, especially 'mermaids with mouths' (I have no idea what the distinction references). And she likes anything with a C for Charlotte on it.

They both like things with "stuff" on them. I have generally given up buying things that don't have something on it...as in hearts, flowers, fish, monkeys, mermaids, etc. Stripes are generally a no go with them. Polka dots occasionally get the nod. Anything seasonal is a hit (thankfully because I'm a little Halloween obsessed).

I realize I'm rambling about this and I'm probably the only one who cares, but if you knew the amount of time that seems to go into the dressing process you might be more sympathetic. (And I'm pretty convinced that they egg each other on too). At this point I've started to give up and let them wear what they want, and I don't buy anything that can't be returned. I just have to get over the feeling sometimes that people who see them must think I like C better because she generally looks much more coordinated/cuter than D. Then again, D is so happy strutting around in her apparel of choice that maybe that's all people see : ).

Here they are on a rare occasion when they actually put on what I wanted them to wear! Just in time to get frozen yogurt all over themselves during a 'special treat' with Daddy! (C in pink of course, D in green).


1 comment:

Jason said...

Of course Lucy will only wear dresses and they MUST correspond to the following criteria

1. Must be twirly
2. Must be approved by friend Alex
3. Pink is preferred although red is an acceptable substitute
4. Optional: Princess shoulders are a bonus and can often trump 2 or 3