Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Adult Words

Occasionally I have a potty mouth. It comes in waves, usually when tired or very frustrated. In recent years I've cleaned it up considerably. But on rare occasions the facade crumbles. The other day in Tahoe Chris said "shit" and the girls repeated it. I had to explain the "adult words" concept to them. Then this morning (it's been a long, tiring week already and it is only Wednesday) I said it in a moment of despair. I heard "shhhh" start to come out of their mouths and quickly reminded them that there were 'adult words' that even adults really shouldn't say, but kids should never say. They quickly agreed.

"That's an adult word. Girls can't say that word. But girls can say "Oh man!" If only.


P.S. This conversation has come up again. And no, I wasn't swearing. I was actually looking for a parking space, couldn't find one, and said "Oh man!" C says from the back, "Girls can say 'oh man.'" And D, in her little nasal voice says "Yes but you can't say 'shit.'"


Oh sh*t.


No comments: