Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Little Bums


Reward on the first 'accident free' day---butterfly balloons.




We bit the potty training bullet. I fought it as long as I could, but C/D were clearly capable of peeing in the potty and seemed so into the whole thing that I figured the time was now. To fight my laziness, I went cold turkey. We went to Target and picked out some underwear (D picked Thomas--and please don't tell her they are boys briefs--and C picked mermaid). That might have been the biggest seller. That and their introduction to M&Ms.


The first day we hung out around the house for as long as I could possibly stand it. And since my house is actually an apartment--not that long. We had one accident from D and two from C the first day. Since then we've had a few accidents but its gone much better than I expected.

The worst parts?
1. HUGE pain in the ass. So much process to every potty, that much more time to get out of the house, more gear to bring, always worrying about whether they need to go.
2. They are still pooping often in diapers at bedtime/naptime so it isn't like there's no diaper changes to be done.
3. Constipation.

4. Public restrooms. Public restrooms. Public restrooms.


The best parts?

1. Their little bums!!!! I get to grab their cute little bums and feel bum instead of diaper! And they look so cute in those little underpants--even if they are often highly commercialized boys briefs.
2. Watching them pick out the m&m reward. One of my top moments in life. It says everything about being a little kid. Adults don't even think about grabbing a handful but a little girl studies her options, considering color and any flaws on the one she's considering. She takes a bite and savors it. She shows me that "there is chocolate inside." Sometimes she asks for two but doesn't expect to get it. She's thrilled with the one (and their favorite color by a long shot? BROWN).

3. Watching them glow with pride. The very first day we switched to big girl underwear we ventured out to the closest park for 40 minutes. While there C struck up a conversation with a 6 year old. She was going to Montana the next day and C says "I need to look that up on my map." And "You'll ride the magic carpet--it's at the airport." Then they ventured into other topics and the girl tells her she loves to swim. C asks "Do you do the backstroke like my cousin?" (Not life shattering talk I know, but it was like watching my baby become a little girl right in front of my eyes). At one point I asked D/C if their big girl underwear was still dry. The girl looks a little horrified, like maybe, she'd been conversing with--god forbid--babies! She asks suspiciously, "Are they still wearing diapers?" C, with the proudest look I've ever seen on her sweet little face, beams "No, no. I'm wearing BIG GIRL UNDERPANTS!" and grabs her bum for emphasis.

No comments: