Wednesday, July 23, 2008

16 weeks

If pregnancy is any indication of the difference between having one kid at a time vs. two, then sign me up for a few more because (with one exception) this is thus far a cake walk compared to last time.

First, the exception: I was actually sicker I think this time around. It is hard to tell because I think it is just generally a lot tougher to be pregnant when you already have a kid (because there is no coming home from work at 5 or 6 and just LAYING on the couch for a few hours, which is what I did last time). I also think we have selective memories with pregnancy. But where as last time I remember several weeks of feeling carsick around 5pm every night, this time I have had legitimate nausea, on and off, unpredictably and often related to food or fatigue, for about 9 weeks. It hasn't been that bad, but it hasn't been that good either.

But why is it easier? Well the biggest one is that this is not a high risk pregnancy so I don't lay awake at night worrying that the next ultrasound will show signs of TTTS or that D's heart will have a life threatening defect (due to having a single umbilical artery). I don't have people saying "I wouldn't rush to do the nursery just yet." I am not scouring websites for more terrible info. Yes, all pregnancies hold risks, but the odds are HEAVILY in my favor this time around. Such a better feeling.

Other positives--I don't have a gazillion appointments. (Instead of >25 ultrasounds we will have 3, and unless something changes there will be no weekly fetal heart monitoring). My doctor's appointments are more like catch up with my awesome doctor, hear a heartbeat, and leave. So freakin' easy!! I feel free to exercise (still running even, though less). And selfishly, I'm not putting on the lbs quite as fast. I'm still in most of my regular clothes, which I was definitely out of by this time with c/d. (Think I'm also carrying higher which helps). I was expecting to get big fast w/ a second pregnancy and this has been a very welcome surprise. My rib cage hasn't gotten out of control (yet) either. Still wearing a 32 bra instead of the 36 that I was in by the time last time. I've gained 2lbs so far, as opposed to 7 at this time w/ c/d.

The only thing Andrew laments is that my cravings have been the one distinct difference between this pregnancy and last. Last time I was all about carbs (pasta, pizza, burritos, lasagna) and sweets. This one has been much more about salt, meat, dairy or fruit. I could live on cheese (gorgonzola or manchego, mmm), hot dogs (i know, i know, nitrates), ribs, with some plain yogurt and fruit thrown in. Lately I've been eating a favorite of my grandmother's--tomatoes with mayo, salt and pepper. Mmmmmm. Burritos, pasta, pizza, and even chocolate chip cookies don't sound all that appealing. Cravings change though, and I know he's really hoping they veer back in the carb direction.

No comments: