Wednesday, July 09, 2008

I'm going to have 3 kids and....

...I can't cook.
...I live in a 2 bedroom apartment.
...we have one bathroom.
...I still mentally think of myself as the target age group for Vegas.
...I loathe minivans.
...I miss buying expensive shoes.
...I'm going to have to learn zone defense.

Lately thoughts like this have been rushing through my mind. Maybe its the hormones, maybe it is just practicality talking. Maybe if I'd first made the jump from one to two I wouldn't be so freaked out by the number THREE. But since I started w/ two it sounds manageable. Mano a mano. Cars are all built for two kids. Most houses are built for two kids. Most vacations are built for two kids. But three?

And if I'm being honest, the other thought that keeps going through my mind is "WHAT THE HELL WERE WE THINKING?" (And I'm pretty sure that one has flashed through Andrew's mind once or twice, because he's said it OUT LOUD).

Ok, so I know what we were thinking. I have always known I wanted at least 3 kids. Andrew decided he wanted 3 sometime after that life changing "yeah, it's twins" ultrasound in June of 05. And it wasn't like it happened overnight (looking back...THANK GOD). But now it is official I think we both walk around with these permanent looks of fear/bemusement--sort of like "I know, we're clueless idiots, but it will all be awesome someday, right??? And really, how hard can one more be??!"

Of course, I know what we were thinking. We were thinking that watching C/D be so close is one of the highlights of our lives. We were thinking that we have two little girls who love each other in a way we never would have dreamed. We were thinking that we needed to give this next little one at least a shot at getting into the fold. We were thinking that if they were much more than 3 years apart that might not happen. We were thinking C/D should have a sibling who isn't like looking in a mirror. We were thinking that I am not getting any younger (Andrew, on the other hand, never gets any freakin' closer to me in age, damn it). And well, we were thinking that you can't plan for these things too much.

Mind you, we don't talk about "It" much at all. I think we're both a little freaked out. Besides, we really don't need to DO anything to prepare because lord knows we have two of everything. Well, except two bedrooms for kids. Small issue. So our 'baby talk' takes the form of emails back and forth saying "Check out this apartment." Which is probably fine for now. Of course, don't be surprised if we name the kid Craigslist.
There's room for one more in this basket, right?? (C=right)

No comments: