Thursday, April 10, 2008

Very Frightening

Today, in the middle of her physical therapy session, D had a febrile seizure. She didn't pass out and her eyes didn't roll back, but while playing she suddenly stopped, arched her back and fell backwards. She tried to grab onto something for support but couldn't. She fell back into Susan's (physical therapist) arms and lay there completely rigid and shaking uncontrollably for about 10 seconds. I cannot explain how scared I was/am. She didn't pass out but started screaming and saying "scared" over and over. I held her while the PT went to get help/advice. She was shaking and her heart was racing. But after a few minutes she calmed down and said "I not scared anymore" and went on playing.

I realized that the "bug bites" I noticed in the morning had gotten way worse. I took her into the doctor. The short answer is she has either hand, foot, and mouth disease, and/or some version of the coxsackie virus. Even though she wasn't acting sick she likely spiked a fever and that led to the 'seizure.' C is now running a fever and feeling very bad too, so I am assuming that she is just getting it in a different way.

I am hopeful everything will be alright. But all day I have been too scared to concentrate on anything. It is nights like this that I really hate being alone.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I like to call it "cox-sucky" virus. We've had, it sucks, and bless your hearts for dealing with the scary, high-fever aspect of it. Frightening, indeed. Hang in there.