Saturday, April 19, 2008

Purging

I'm trying to rid us of plastic and (maybe) wheat. Why, you ask?

PLASTIC: The articles are everywhere. I stopped microwaving anything plastic awhile ago (well, just AFTER I thought I was being a good mother by microwaving/steamcleaning C/Ds bottles EVERY NIGHT when they were babies--STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!) And I got rid of some of our plastic toys and try to shop at some of the crunchier toy stores. But C/D still eat and drink out of a lot of plastic. And all of it is starting to make me really nervous.

So I'm starting a full purge. I threw out all of the plastic sippy cups we had unless I was sure they were BPA free. I have tried to get more metal sippy cups (sold out everywhere online) and I replaced all their plates/bowls with melamine ones.

I now know more than I ever need to about sippy cup brands. In the meantime, if you have any suggestions for products--pray tell.

(Of course, a friend of mine said "Well I'm more worried about the lead in glass.") UGH!!

WHEAT: Well, uh, I'm not completely sure. D seems to have very sensitive skin. I have read a lot about how wheat can aggravate eczema, and I am also learning that certain foods can even aggravate asthma. So in the short term I'm trying to minimize the wheat they eat. This, btw, is not easy, not to mention that it doesn't completely fit with our "shop at Whole Foods less and reduce our monthly grocery bill" plan.

Because I really have know idea what I'm talking about, I have her signed up to see a nutritionist/allergist in a few weeks...the woman is definitely on the crunchy side (I surmised this when she asked me if I was still breast feeding and I reminded her that "They are over two years old!" and she didn't say "Oh that's right" but instead said "Alright then.") but I think that is a good thing. I think we need to start thinking holistically about D's health and consider how all of the inputs she's receiving (food, environment, etc.) can affect her. That sounds way more serious than her situation is, but you get the idea.

Andrew will tell you that I'm doing this just to annoy him, to have an excuse to shop at Whole Foods, and to make him eat tortillas that taste like cardboard. He has a point.

(Here are C/D looking like rag-a-muffins as they help me make smoothies...)

No comments: