Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Super Duper

Two big "Super" events this week. First, the Super Bowl. The four of us went to the Rubins for as long as C/D would hold out (too bad it wasn't long, they had the best ribs i've eaten outside of TX), and then Andrew went on and the Dodson girls went home to watch the event together. Who would have thought I could have had such a good time watching the Super Bowl w/ my two year old daughters!?! We had a 'Super Bowl Picnic"---they actually LIKE watching football, I swear (and the like the ice cream treat and stickers they got as part of the celebration even more). They even enjoyed Tom Petty (God he made me feel old)--although D couldn't understand why he didn't play "Do Wi Do Wi Circle Wide." All in all, good fun. And then, Super Tuesday!

C and D are already starting to show their true blue colors. And yes, as you can see by these t-shirts (c/d's birthday gifts from my sister and co., which will probably lead to the cementing of the term "the California Dodsons" on Andrew's side of the family: )) I am/was torn between two candidates. I don't pretend to know nearly enough on all the issues. I have taken a bunch of those online tests and I come out pretty even for Hillary and Obama (for different reasons). Here's my issue--I "like" Obama better. I think he is a leader and I think he's more unifying. And I think we need change. At the same time, I value Hillary's experience, and I think she's earned her spot. And I can't help but feel that maybe Clinton's downswing is a bit of feminist backlash in disguise. And I'm not going to lie, selfishly the thought of my daughters learning the concept of "president" when it is a WOMAN thrills me beyond my wildest dreams. I do not think we can possibly under estimate the impact of a female US president on young American women. I think it will fundamentally change what it means to be a girl in America. I do.

Truthfully though, I'm just thrilled and amazed that in all likelihood we'll have a woman or an African American running our country soon. And maybe the real silver lining is that I like McCain too--I can't remember the last time I wasn't voting for the person I 'dislike least.'


Oh, and if that weren't enough excitement for the week, we also made GOOP. Cornstarch and water. And a lot of food coloring. It was super.

No comments: