Dylan and I went to her first physical therapy session today. It was great. She had fun and I learned a lot about where she is behind and what I can do to help her improve her core strength. It was so helpful too to be reminded of how important it is to let her struggle, let her go through the motor development process of learning things even if she fails. The therapist thinks that she is definitely behind (can't stand on tippytoes without pulling up, 'runs' assymetrically, has difficulty with stairs, lacks some core strength/balance) but that there isn't anything seriously wrong. She also said that D was one of the more 'adventurous' kids she'd had in for PT (not only did she take all the balls out of a barrel, she 'shot hoops' and threw them all in, then got them all out again so she could climb in the barrel. She said few kids are do that on their own). We go back next week for more evaluation and then she will likely develop an at-home program. I'm so glad we're going forward with the PT. I'm so thrilled to be helping her now as opposed to trying to help her unlearn bad habits she developed later on.
And while she might behind phyiscally, Miss Dylan is certainly ahead of her time fashion-wise. Here is a typical D outfit---no less than six of the items shown are 'screamers,' by which I mean that trying to deny her the opportunity to wear it would inevitably lead to a lot of screaming (heart dress, fire hat, ladybug boots, fire jacket, jeans, doggy purse).

Finally, SAVE FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SIGN THE PETITION, PRETTY PLEASE!!!!!! FULL HEARTS CLEAR EYES CAN'T LOSE!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment