Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Radio Silence

I'd like to give a reason for my radio silence in the last few weeks. I don't really have one though. I mean I could give many different ones, but nothing really stands out. Andrew's been gone a lot, but after my previous posts during his long absence started to make me look 'desperate' I decided to hold off for awhile. Here's what's been going on:


Mother's Day: On Sunday I went to the Bar Method AND got to go running with Andrew and the girls. Then my mom came over and we went and saw a terrible movie. During the movie I felt terrible...I came home and it got worse. By monday morning I had a fever of 102+ and I was so sick that I thought I was going to pass out. The girls were scared because their mother was literally lying on the floor of the kitchen because she was too sick to stand. Long story short, turns out I had the beginnings of a kidney infection. Thank god for drugs. I was better in a few days.


Work: I'm sort of "on the beach." This has been good to catch up a bit, and good because I realize that I really enjoy working @ the amount that I do. I become less productive with less to do. The problem has been that I haven't found a client to really get psyched about... so that is my new objective...find a client I love.

Development: C and D are behind for their age. In some ways, way behind. Sometimes I forget how far...like when I ask someone if their six month old is "sitting up" and the person politely responds "actually they are crawling." Oops. Anyplace we go w/ other kids is a constant reminder of their delayed status because everone does EVERYTHING before them. Ok, not everything, people are impressed w/ how independently c/d crawl up and slide down the slides by themselves. This may be a personality thing or a 'sorry ladies, you just have one mom so you're going to have to figure this out on your own,' but hey, I'll take it.

C is walking well now, to the point that she refuses to crawl. D is so so so frustrated because she is not walking. She wants to so badly---she spends all day attached to this walking tool we have (she's like a little old lady moving all around the house w/ her walker in tow). She leans up against anything she can to stand up. I can tell that she now 'gets' it--that C is walking and she isn't. It breaks my heart for her, and I honestly think she needs physical therapy because her body just doesn't seem to be able to support her...

There are other things that worry me about D sometimes, and I can't tell if they are just personality differences between the two, frustration over not walking, or signs that something just isn't right with her. I know that early intervention is the key to mitigating the impact of developmental delays, and I have to act as her greatest advocate, so I've been trying to get her seen before our next developmental check up. I spoke to the head of the child development center and she recommended a PT who she thinks could also recognize the early signs of other potential problems. I got in touch with her thanks to my amazing and kick ass OBGYN (if I were a lesbian I would go after someone just like her). So keep your fingers crossed that A) D's ok, and B) we can get her the help she needs.

Memorial Weekend: We went down to Carmel. Very fun, except yucky weather meant we never got to swim. We did get to check out the Carmel fire station. As you can see, D is already thinking of being a firewoman for Halloween (though I know she'd choose to be a garbage woman first).


TV: I think I might be the only person who still watches Lost...if I'm not, how awful was the finale? I mean I don't want to think that after they struggle to get off the island their lives are going to suck EVEN more?! Are they begging me to take it off my DVR?

And now we're pretty much caught up...

No comments: