Yesterday we had our 15 month checkup. And it was a bit of a disaster. In general, I do things like doctor visits by myself. I do this for two reasons: I don't want to have a low deal factor, and I don't have a lot of help during the week and so I want to be very efficient w/ that help time. But at the same time, I don't want to be one of those mothers who kinda acts like "I have kids, so what do you want me to do about it?" and puts everyone else out. And this time I was the pain in the ass patient of the day.
As for stats: C is 21lb, 30inches long, and D is 19lb, 29 inches long. C is 25-50th percentile for height (yeah!), 1o-15th percentile for weight, and 75-100th percentile for head. D is 10-25th percentile for length, 3rd percentile for weight, and 50-75th percentile for head. Of course, i'm a little worried they measured them too long, but if they didn't, then I think that shows some real progress! At least they are on the charts! As for weight, she told me to just keep doing what I'm doing. My friend Suzanne has the same doctor, and she was much more concerned about her twins weight even though they weighed about the same as D at twelve months...but I guess that since c/d continue to grow, albeit slowly, she's less concerned. They continue to have big noggins---I hope this equates to big brains and that they will grow into their heads...having a big head can be a real bummer.
Based on what I told her about their verbal skills, and their reaction to her, she said she thought they were actually closer to their actual age than their adjusted age w/ regards to verbal development. Very good news. She did think that D might need physical therapy, based on the fact that she isn't walking and she hunches over while sitting (her trunk appears weak). Unfortunately we probably won't be able to diagnose that for sure until their next Developmental Checkup in July. We also discussed D's chest issues, and I think she is very close to being discussed with asthma. She has been wheezing a lot lately, and I think I am going to need to start getting educated about asthma. (I have read up a little bit, and I am SO glad that I switched all my cleaning products to eco-friendly/natural. I hate cleaning but I have this weird new obsession w/ cleaning products. I didn't want c/d anywhere near harsh cleaning products, and now I'm reading that regular cleaning products can increase the effects of asthma).
I recently ran across an article about preemies that totally upset me, but I just have to keep hoping for the best. I wonder what it must be like to go through those appointments with no concerns whatsoever. But then maybe everyone has concerns and it is just all relative...
Saturday, May 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment