So it was one year ago today that we found out we were having twins. I'm sure we've told this story a thousand times before, but I like it so here is a synopsis.
We go to the ultrasound appointment. I'm totally nervous because I know there's a chance it could be a false pregnancy or something. I'm just nervous (little did I know how stressful these ultrasound appointments would become). I drink so much water I'm about to die and of course they are running late. We go into the appointment and an older lady with a Texas twang is the sonographer. Her first question after looking at the screen a minute--- "Did you take anything?" I thought she meant drugs so I sorta freak out that maybe there is a deformity that she can already see. She tells me I need to calm down. I do. I can't see the screen, but she tells me that she thinks I had "another one" that vanished and she needs to look at things another way. As we're shifting positions I remember thinking "Wow, twins, that would have been crazy. Fun, but probably for the better that it's not. And twins? I mean come on, there is zero history of that in either family. I mean I know older women are more likely to have twins, but am I really that old?" Yes, all this went through my mind. As it turns out, she meant that we originally had triplets (not clear if fraternal or identical because it had a separate placenta)
So I can't see anything as she continues to look but Andrew can. Not sure what he saw, but he could see the screen. Finally, the lady says in her twang "oh yeah, it's twins" as if we had said "hey, we think it might be twins!" I have never seen the color drain from Andrew's face so quickly. I'm figuring he's about to run out the door, and I know for a second he wondered if I'd run off to Mexico or something and gotten Clomid. Needless to say we were completely shocked, and as we drove back to work Andrew says "our lives just changed FOREVER." Yup.
When we told my mother I remember that she said that usually when you hear something that completely shocks you and rocks your world it is something bad. She told me later that she immediately went out for a walk to let the news sink in. She said that she relished the fact that this was GOOD news rocking her world. Of course there were more stressful times to come (because of the vanishing triplet my doctor said she would be "really surprised" if the twins were identical, so for about 4 weeks we got to enjoy a relatively stress free pregnancy).
The girls first surprised us by being two and not one, and they have not stopped since. We were sure they were fraternal, NOPE. We were sure they were boys, NOPE. We were sure that they would only be in the NICU a few weeks, NOPE. And their latest move...they slept through the night for the first time on the SAME night. Then of course they were up all night the next night. You know, just to remind us who the bosses are in this family (hint: at birth they weighed less than rotisserie chickens.)
Friday, July 28, 2006
Surprise of a lifetime
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment