

I am realizing that one of the greatest things about having two munchkins is that so many of the experiences will be about the two interracting. And so I think we have begun 'sister interactions.' For example, remember the 'first fight?' Well, Dylan has found a way to fight back. The last two mornings I have walked back in the crib to find her trying to EAT Charlotte. And Charlotte has this look of complete amazement on her face. "Moi, why would you want to eat pretty little me?" Not to be outdone, I'm pretty sure I witnessed the first "she took my toy!" this morning. They have this colorful wooden toy that looks almost like an atom. They love it, so I bought a similar one yesterday. This morning I gave each one an 'atom' during tummy time. I turn around, a minute later here a screech from Dylan (she likes to screech), I turn back around, and low and behold, they are both in Charlotte's hands. See exhibit B as proof.
So what all of this really means is that the girls are developing at what I hope is a very good pace. Dylan has made huge strides in the last few weeks, so much so that I don't really think of her as 'behind' Charlotte. Charlotte is still better with tummy time than Dylan, but Dylan is like a fish the way she flip-flaps her body every which way whenever she has the chance. I am still trying to get them tested as part of Early Development Intervention, a program by the state of California for preemies. Fortunately and unfortunately, the girls don't qualify because they were born after 32 weeks of age. Dylan qualifies on birthweight but Charlotte doesn't (you are supposed to qualify on both counts for the program). You can, however, self refer your babies, and my insurance and the NICU case worker suggested I do so. Worst case we find out something that we can start treating ASAP, best case they say there is nothing to treat. Given that this is a state run program, however, they may be 3 before I even get a response.
Just to be clear, there is no reason so far to indicate that they will have developmental problems, but the earlier you catch these things the better. Maybe it is also because I read so much that twins, especially identical twins sharing placentas, tend to have lower IQs than singletons (up to 7 points). This can be from malnourishment in the womb (or inattention after birth I believe). My friend Mackenzie accuses me of being too "type A Harvard Business School" worrying about my kids IQs right now. :) Fair point. As Andrew points out, the breastfeeding might give them some IQ points to close the gap. Andrew also points out that he was a formula baby, and look at how smar he is. But as LJ, another formula baby (and ok, another HBS grad), thinks of it "Just think how smart I could have been.
Anyway, if smiling is an indication of intelligence than the munchkins are doing just fine. If only I could get them to smile less at bedtime or at 1am. (As Andrew says "Less smiling, more sleeping." )

No comments:
Post a Comment