Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sticks and Stones

Tonight during bathtime C informed me that "I love Daddy much more than I love you Mommy. I love you, but not that much."


My first instinct was to say "Well gee, Daddy's in Vegas at Uncle Peter's bachelor party right now, probably on his way over to blow your gymnastics class money on bottle service at Pure. Mommy's raging Friday night is a glass of wine and "Twilight" on demand. So maybe you should rethink that statement just a bit." (Is it awful that my night--especially if I didn't have to deal w/ putting three kids to bed and if I'd had someone like LJ to watch with me--sounds much better to me than bottle service at Pure? Yes, it is. Oh I'm so freaking old).

But of course I didn't say that. And I tried to not make her feel too bad because I realize that C really does love Andrew more than me and I don't want to make her feel bad about it. At the same time, it made me sad, because I am sure it isn't the last time I will hear something like that, and because of course I want her to love me a ton. But most of all, I want her to realize that you can't hurt people's feelings like that, and that parents are people too. So I tried to talk to her about why saying things like that was hurtful.

And I stopped just shy of explaining to her what "ungrateful little shit" meant.

No comments: