A few months ago there was a billboard near our old house with an ad for the New York New York Casino. It was a picture of two slutty girls dancing and some greasy looking guy who was supposed to be the bartender I think. One of the girls had on green skin tight pants.
Charlotte sees the sign, points and yells "Look Dywan, a mermaid!!!!!!!!!!! There's her fins!" Then, a little perplexed "Well I can't see her tail." D, looks, agrees, admires, but then, a little skeptical asks, "Are you sure that is a mermaid Charwotte?" Andrew and I were dying laughing.
The other day we parked near the same billboard. Only now it is a big picture of a slot machine. C looks up and yells "STICKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE ARE STICKERS ON THAT SIGN!!" She is mesmerized and thrilled by the 'stickers' of cherries, numbers, etc. on the slot machine sign. Then she says, with a touch of awe "And it is in front of IHOP." Now she's seen it all, and she's ecstatic. (because yes, andrew takes them to IHOP, and they love it).
It occurred to me that they are by far the most adept kids on the playground at sliding down the poles. They kick all the other little kids asses, and they do it over and over. I always thought it was an affinity for firemen that created all the interest in 'poles.' But now I'm starting to wonder.
If they start asking me to put temporary tattoos at the base of their tailbones instead of on their hands I'm going to forbid them from ever stepping foot in the state of Nevada.
Charlotte sees the sign, points and yells "Look Dywan, a mermaid!!!!!!!!!!! There's her fins!" Then, a little perplexed "Well I can't see her tail." D, looks, agrees, admires, but then, a little skeptical asks, "Are you sure that is a mermaid Charwotte?" Andrew and I were dying laughing.
The other day we parked near the same billboard. Only now it is a big picture of a slot machine. C looks up and yells "STICKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE ARE STICKERS ON THAT SIGN!!" She is mesmerized and thrilled by the 'stickers' of cherries, numbers, etc. on the slot machine sign. Then she says, with a touch of awe "And it is in front of IHOP." Now she's seen it all, and she's ecstatic. (because yes, andrew takes them to IHOP, and they love it).
It occurred to me that they are by far the most adept kids on the playground at sliding down the poles. They kick all the other little kids asses, and they do it over and over. I always thought it was an affinity for firemen that created all the interest in 'poles.' But now I'm starting to wonder.
If they start asking me to put temporary tattoos at the base of their tailbones instead of on their hands I'm going to forbid them from ever stepping foot in the state of Nevada.

No comments:
Post a Comment