Monday, March 23, 2009

Defining Moment

When my brother Mikie was two years old, he wrapped his arms around my mom's neck, looked up at her, and said "Mama, you're the life of my heart." Safe to say it was the defining moment of their relationship. No matter what Mikie does, he will always be the little boy who loved his mother more than anything. He could rob a bank and she'd still be telling the 'life of my heart' story. (As a comparison, our defining moment--or at least the story I hear a lot--might have been when I was three and looked at my mother and said "I love you Mama even though you have that big ugly mole on your face." (She had it removed the next week). And that folks, in a nutshell, is how I perceive the difference between the mother/daughter relationship and the mother/son relationship).

Last night Andrew arrived as C/D were getting out of the tub. He was helping dry C off. C cupped her hands around Andrew's face, gave him a huge grin, and with extreme fervor declared:

"Daddy I love you so much, and I don't ever want to do anything without you!"


Hook. Line. And Sinker.

No comments: