Monday, May 01, 2006

Two second children...

Andrew and I are both second children. It always cracks me up when people actually worry that maybe they won't love the second child as much as the first. These people are almost inevitably first borns, and as a second child I am happy to reassure them that not only are we as good, but we are better. We are a lot less concerned about being perfect and feel the freedom to do things our own way. We also come into the world knowing that we aren't the only show in town and I think that is a much more accurate picture of the world. We joke that first borns never get over not being #1 all the time.
When we found out we were having twins we thought it made perfect sense...we were going to skip the 'first child' syndrome entirely. Two second children who knew that they were special but also knew that they weren't the only show in town, that the world was a big place and they weren't the only person in it. So here's to second children...

No comments: