Sunday, December 20, 2009

Fake Santa





C and D love Santa...in concept. They have had an arms-length relationship with him ever since we put them on his lap when they were almost two years old. So even though they love the idea of writing to him and asking for things, they have NO intention of actually sitting on the guys lap. So when I took them to see "Santa" I made it all about Lila. Which of course they thought was awesome. I didn't even bother to dress anyone up because I had a feeling how it would turn out. Not that it matters...they wouldn't get within 10 feet of the guy. The closest they got to Santa was an electronic version in front of a house down our street.

And by "the guy" I mean "Santa's Elf." We went to a nearby children's clothing store who had Santa on Saturdays. It is a relatively high end children's store, so I admit, I was expecting a pretty good Santa. What we got was a young kid. Even C and D didn't buy it. They walked in and said "Is that the real Santa?" I wasn't sure what to say because we'd never suggested it was anything but. So, panicked, I asked, "Uh, do you want it to be?" "No!" They said. So we discussed how it was one of his "elves" because, hey, Santa is a busy guy. They seemed satisfied with that, and I think they kind of enjoyed watching LBD freak out. I am only now kicking myself for not bringing the video camera. Luckily there is next year : )

And luckily we went to a breakfast with Santa a few days prior at community center in our neighborhood and the firefighters produced an AWESOME Santa that the girls totally bought into---and had a great time eating pancakes and making art projects. (Firefighters rock!)

Oh, and here are their "video letters" to Santa (I have letters too but what are the chances I don't lose those?!) (And please forgive the absurd delay of these posts... I have been inspired to catch up because C and D LOVE looking through the blog books A made. And A is going to be gone so much this month I have no excuse not to catch up)



No comments: