Thursday, October 29, 2009

Cold Hard Truth?!?

In the words of the immortal Bill Murray (who, incidentally, gave Lila a fist pump when she squawked a little too loudly while a player was teeing off during the First Tee tournament at Pebble--really hoping it was in jest!), "It just doesn't matter."

This is my new perspective. It doesn't really matter what I do. Kids will be kids and they are going to turn out how they will turn out (largely) regardless of what you do. And though I haven't read any 'overparenting' articles yet I'm guessing I should.

Instead of doing things because I think they are "the right thing to do," lately I have been trying to see what it feels like to do things simply because I want to...and by that I mean "I want to feed them well not because it will make them better eaters someday, but simply because I want to do so." Or "I want to limit their exposure to Disney princesses not because it will in any way effect who they become as people, but simply because I cannot stand to live in a house full of princess crap."

Maybe I just worry that I will resent my kids if my attitude is "I did A, B and C because I expect you to become X,Y, and Z." If my attitude is "I spent all this time with you because I wanted to (er, uh, most of the time)," well, that just feels better, doesn't it.

No comments: