Sometimes, when I look at my little monkeys, I'll think "Doesn't EVERYONE want three girls?" I'll listen to the Dixie Chicks and imagine the "girl power" that will emanate from my daughters (note to self: teach one of them how to play the fiddle). Or I'll get excited to pull out some of C and D's old clothes for Lila (one of the most surprising things I truly do enjoy. Once I got over not buying blue I have been thrilled to reuse so many cute things that I got as gifts or bought for C/D).
The problem is that people suck. They just can't help but say things that make me question my own happiness. For example, I go to the doctor yesterday for Lila's 2 month check up. The ped, who is not my regular doctor, says "Oh this baby is being raised by a village. She was born into a village." So first I have to think about what she was saying. I realize that she's referring to the size of my family (I'm not exactly octomom but whatever). So I smiled and said "Yeah, a village with a lot of estrogen." She says "Your poor husband." (Seriously, you're a pediatrician and you are saying this to me?) Or people fill me in on their own terrible experiences being the third sister with twin sisters (yes, I'm very concerned about our current family dynamic and it just thrills me to have someone reinforce that fear).
I realize that people just like to judge and comment, and if it weren't one thing it would be another. If it isn't the gender of your children it is the number you have....sometimes when people look shocked/disgusted when I say I might like a fourth I want to gently remind them that I actually come from a family of four kids--and my parents did it on purpose. And if it isn't the number of kids you have, it is probably the way they dress, the size of their feet, the sports they play, the school they attend, etc.
So clearly I just need to stop listening. But I have to admit, it bums me out when people rain on my happiness parade.

No comments:
Post a Comment