Sunday, June 08, 2008

Slump

Yes folks, I think it is fair to say I'm in a slump, a blog slump that is. I just haven't had the motivation. Not sure why and hoping it ends soon. That being said, I'm missing lots of memories, so I'll try to make this one a "catch up."
  • Today C/D wanted to wear "ladybug barrettes." I said we didn't have any. C runs into the living room. I hear her 'typing' on my computer for a few minutes and talking to herself in a sing song way as she did it. She comes running back in the room and says "Mommy, I ordered the ladybug barrettes online! (pause) And UPS will bring them eventually." No joke, word for word.
  • I took C/D to the zoo last week. It was one of those days when I could just sit back and enjoy the simplicity of a two year old. They had the BEST time riding the train through the (crappy) SF zoo. And getting to ride the carousel too, was the icing on the cake (I'd talk about the animals, but at the SF zoo there isn't much to talk about). It is so easy to make a two year old content and that day I just got to enjoy being the guardian of their happiness. Frighteningly, when Andrew asked C what animal she rode on the carousel, she said "the UPS bunny" (it was brown).
  • They are learning the concept of manipulation. When I tried to get D to eat her spinach tonight she told me she couldn't because "there are nuts in the spinach" with a mischievous grin (they know they can't eat nuts yet). If C wants D to take something she'll use my line and say something like "The book misses you Dylan." It is like watching myself.
  • "Because I love you" or "Because you love me" is becoming a very solid reason for anything and everything. They often like to hold each other's hands crossing the street instead of each one holding one of mine. C will often say "I want to hold my sister's hand" and if D balks she'll say "please....because you love me Dylan!"

  • The hot weather we've been having has led to some "special treats." I LOVE giving my kids dessert. I totally admit it, I do. C/D have each had two ice cream cones in their lives, and they are two of the best memories I've ever had. They are silent, focused, enraptured, and COMPLETELY content. I know it won't be long before I can't be in complete control of their happiness, so what the hell, I'm gonna live it up now. Here they are enjoying a chocolate milkshake.


  • If C think either A or I are upset about something she'll walk up to us and in her most empathetic voice ask "What's the matter sweety?"
  • We spell their names for them in bathtub crayons to get them into the bath. If you ask D how to spell her name now she'll say "D-Y-L-A-N" really fast. Of course, if you ask C how to spell her name she'll say "D-Y-L-A-N" really fast. Then D will start whimpering and say "She's taking my D-Y-L-A-N."
  • We went to Texas for a week and the girls had a great time. Sadly, I hardly took any pics. Biggest highs: jumping off the starting blocks into the pool, playing in the kiddie pool and the slipnslide (so nice to have hot weather), their first baseball game. Only low is that the girls now have a bizarre fear of seaweed after seeing a lot of it on the beaches. : )
  • Andrew's high school friends are doting uncles to C and D and it is so fun to watch these guys at the mercy of the playtime demands of two little girls. They are completely spoiling them because they always come bearing gifts. Here's C in the Astros cheerleading uniform from Uncle Todd (damn me for not getting a pic of them together).

  • A got home late the other night because one of his flights had mechanical trouble. I explained that to the girls before they went to bed. He got home at 9pm and for some reason C and D were STILL up. So I made him the sacrificial lamb and he went into their room. Here is what I heard:"Daddy your airplane broke!""Daddy you had to take it to the airplane doctor!""Daddy they don't give shots at the airplane doctor.""Daddy you fixed it with tape.""I think the airplane got stickers."
  • D has picked up on the fact that she can 'pretend' to be C. Yesterday she started saying "I'm Charlotte" and then grinning. I started to play along. Only problem, C wants to be C and no one else. She kept running up and saying "NO I'M CHARLOTTE." So for most of the day we called Dylan "Other Charlotte."
  • A new favorite game is to "Go to work." Here's how it goes, usually starting with D: "I am going to work. I need my brown pants! I'm getting my computer. I need a shirt. Ok, now I need some hot coffee. I'm going to work!.......I'm back! I had a scone treat and I worked soooooooo hard."
  • Today we went to the beach and the girls had kinda runny noses and it was a little windy. At one point I hear C cry out in annoyance. I asked her what happened. She said, "My snot got stuck in my hair!" Nice, very nice.

My apologies for the silence and the continued lack of videos. Hopefully I'll be more inspired soon!

No comments: