I really miss my Dad on Derby Day. It makes very little sense, because he never went to the Kentucky Derby. But he liked watching it a lot, and watching the Kentucky Derby is one of the last memories I have of him before he died. It is one of the last times he seemed "normal" (his liver started to shut down and he started to seem out of it shortly afterward). It is bittersweet because it reminds me of him, but it also reminds of that that time, now 18 years ago.
I really, really want to go to the Derby someday (hat, mint juleps and all). Sounds silly, but I think he'd like that.
2 postscripts...
*I watched it w/ C and D and we had a great time. We talked about all the horses. We decided we liked Eight Belles and Big Brown. When I asked them who they thought would win, C says "I think Sameer will win." (A thought she was pretty close :-))
**Sort of brutal when you come in second and get KILLED on the field?! So glad C/D were too young to know what was going on.
Saturday, May 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment