The 'surprise' was sort of ruined for him, let's just say by two other men w/ a last name of Dodson. : ) But I think Andrew had a really good time w/o the surprise factor, which was the most important part anyway.
We got in Friday night, and, I'm embarrassed to say, headed down to 6th Street. Yes, there was a big frat guy in Andrew just waiting to bring it on, and we did, eventually ending up at Logans. Of course, w/ all the guys in button downs they kinda stood out, and I'm pretty sure I was the only person over 30 at Logan's that night...C/D might have fit in better w/ the demographics. But it was fun, brought back a LOT of memories.
After that I met Andrew and the crew up at the lake. We spent a few hours on the lake, w/ some skiing and some just driving, and some just watching the ridiculous scene on the lake (more data to support my secret plan to forbid c/d from going to college in TX). Then we went out Saturday night to Matt's El Rancho and finished at the Belmont). I went home really early the next morning and Andrew followed later in the day.
All in all, a great weekend. It was great to see so many people, including some we don't get to see much (the Weitz's and Marc and Robin) and it really was great to hang out in Austin. It was crazy to see how much it has changed too. I miss Austin, and I like it, and part of me could see us back there again. (The new Whole Foods there is like an out of body experience if you like grocery stores, btw). I was amazed at all the new buildings downtown, the growth off of highway 71, the number of GIGANTIC houses off Bee Caves, and all the high end shopping!
It is tough to be there and get gently beat up by your friends for living where you do...and when you think of your 1100 square foot 2/1 apartment and realize you could fit it inside your friends' homes...SEVERAL TIMES...it is kind of hard to defend SF. And when you see a house like the Victor and Dalton's (where we stayed) in my favorite area--Tarrytown--it is hard not to picture living a great life there. At the same time, it was hard to imagine living there, and being so far from family, and being landlocked, and not being able to hit the park every day because it so hot. Who knows where we'll end up, but it was nice to realize that I still have a very soft spot for Austin.
All in all, it was great to see everyone, it was great to be in Austin, and I think Andrew enjoyed his present.

No comments:
Post a Comment