| Just landed from Thanskgiving in Texas...let the season BEGIN! (Their mom, after traveling alone with them, looked a tad less perky) |
![]() |
| Getting the Tree |
![]() |
| Decorating the Tree (And my unsuccessful attempt at non-flash photography) |
| How an almost 3 year old decorates a tree |
| First hot chocolate of the season |
| Presidio Tree lighting |
| Father Daughter Dance (C in blue) |
![]() |
| D hanging the stockings |
![]() |
| Winter Solstice Concert (D, those are mostly 2nd graders near her, though yes, she is that short) |
| C at Winter Solstice Concert |
| Team Dodson en route to their hot chocolate pop-up |
| Holiday Treats for Kids in Need! |
| $92 raised for Larkin Street Youth Center! |
![]() |
| Lila's First Christmas Pageant |
![]() |
| Looking out the window of the Polar Express |
| Gingerbread house making to benefit Habitat for Humanity at C and D's school |
| Visiting Santa at the Tom and Jerry tree |
![]() |
| L's bell from the Polar Express |
![]() |
| Oh, Chippy! |
![]() |
| Snow at the Academy! |
![]() | ||||||
At the Academy of Sciences seeing Reindeer (with Ford)
|

| D and L put together their own "Holiday card photo shoot" Christmas Countdown |
This was actually pre-Thanksgiving but it
sort of kicks off the holiday season for us. C and D wore their “Christmas dresses” (Thanks Gram and
Sam!) that they picked out themselves. Not sure how many more years I have of
little girl dresses so I will take all that I can get. They made a critical mistake upon
arrival of getting in line for the "picasso" of caricature drawers--it took too long and tired them out. But they still had a great time.
I should note that while in Houston over Thanksgiving we passed by a debutante ball. C and D asked what it was and were told, “It is like a Father Daughter Dance for older girls.” Do you need to ask what they said next? (Sorry ladies, not gonna happen.)
Elf on the Shelf
o Maybe the highlight of the season. “Chippy” as we named him, turned up in the most unusual places each morning (could a giant male elf be the reason), prompting C and D to say “Ohhh chippy.” Definitely a great new tradition
I should note that while in Houston over Thanksgiving we passed by a debutante ball. C and D asked what it was and were told, “It is like a Father Daughter Dance for older girls.” Do you need to ask what they said next? (Sorry ladies, not gonna happen.)
Elf on the Shelf
o Maybe the highlight of the season. “Chippy” as we named him, turned up in the most unusual places each morning (could a giant male elf be the reason), prompting C and D to say “Ohhh chippy.” Definitely a great new tradition
Presidio Tree Lighting
o We went to a Presidio tree lighting ceremony. Not an overwhelming event but simple and sweet.
o We went to a Presidio tree lighting ceremony. Not an overwhelming event but simple and sweet.
Holiday Parties
o We actually got invited to a few this year! I often feel like losers who know no one in December, so it was such a thrill to be included in some celebrations.
Polar Express
The jury is still out on this one. I drove them all the way to Sacramento to ride the Polar Express--which is essentially a train that drives to a cardboard North Pole the backs up against the freeway. Hard to believe given that tickets sell out in 10 minutes online each year. But the conductor is sweet, the chefs dance, and the kids loved getting the bell from Santa. They did NOT like the 'phantom hobo' who came in and out of the train car because they had never seen the movie. And the drive home was LONG.
Ornament Shopping
o When I was little we used to go to SF once during the Christmas season and each kid picked out an ornament at a store that was only open in December (wish I could remember which street as I can picture it very well). I like this tradition, and I also let them each get an ornament when we visit a new place. We never got to keep our ornaments though, and I want the kids to take them with them when they have their own trees someday. So I write their names on the ornaments each year (and hope they don't break all of them).
o When I was little we used to go to SF once during the Christmas season and each kid picked out an ornament at a store that was only open in December (wish I could remember which street as I can picture it very well). I like this tradition, and I also let them each get an ornament when we visit a new place. We never got to keep our ornaments though, and I want the kids to take them with them when they have their own trees someday. So I write their names on the ornaments each year (and hope they don't break all of them).
Hot Chocolate Stand
o The best new tradition, thanks to Andrew. We sold hot chocolate, apple cider, and cookies to raise money for a youth center we have worked with in the past. (and the hot chocolate was damn good, if I may say so!) The girls did a great job of selling too.
o
Tom and Jerry Tree
Tom and Jerry are a couple around the Castro who, for over a decade, have decorated the outside of their house in the most unbelievable way for Xmas. Giant presents, giant Tom and Jerry stockings, giant tree, ferris wheels and toy trains. Santa appears every night to hand out candy canes and talk to kids. And they don't accept donations. They do it for the children of SF. Worth a trip every year.
Ice Skating
o I took C and D out ice skating a few days before Christmas. I came to the same conclusions that I forgot I had come to last year. 1. Ice skating is hard, and DANGEROUS. The whole time I kept thinking “please don’t break your wrists.” Why I do this each year I am not sure, but I probably will again next year, because the other conclusion I come to is that 2) C and D, while not world class athletes, are tenacious little buggers. And I love 'em for it.
o I took C and D out ice skating a few days before Christmas. I came to the same conclusions that I forgot I had come to last year. 1. Ice skating is hard, and DANGEROUS. The whole time I kept thinking “please don’t break your wrists.” Why I do this each year I am not sure, but I probably will again next year, because the other conclusion I come to is that 2) C and D, while not world class athletes, are tenacious little buggers. And I love 'em for it.
Nutcracker
This year my mom very nicely took C and D. (Ask her why she ended up paying for the tickets twice!) They had a great time, though I may put the kibosh on Gram's well intentioned tradition of getting a nutcracker every time you go. (We are overflowing with nutcrackers now and I am running out of storage!)
This year my mom very nicely took C and D. (Ask her why she ended up paying for the tickets twice!) They had a great time, though I may put the kibosh on Gram's well intentioned tradition of getting a nutcracker every time you go. (We are overflowing with nutcrackers now and I am running out of storage!)
Academy of Sciences –Reindeer and Snow
We took Ford and had a great day seeing and learning about snow and seeing and learning about reindeer. I miss those days of taking everyone on an adventure, and to have a boy along with us made it extra fun.
We took Ford and had a great day seeing and learning about snow and seeing and learning about reindeer. I miss those days of taking everyone on an adventure, and to have a boy along with us made it extra fun.
School Parties
Our pre-school has the sweetest parties. The kids sang some great holiday songs from Xmas and Hannukah and L seemed to love it. C and D's school doesn't do specific holidays (a bummer IMO) but they had a very sweet Winter Solstice celebration (yes, you heard that correctly. Incense sold separately). I love to see D belt out the songs even though she is almost the tiniest thing up there, and C had a chance to be 'thankful for the trees.'
Meeting Santa
No tears this year at our picture. Just L making sure Santa knows her demands: "I WANT CANDY FOR CHRISTMAS."












No comments:
Post a Comment