Friday, September 02, 2011

And on the third day...

D cracked her head open.

I was actually running with L by the water, thrilled by my new found freedom and wondering if this was what it was going to be like from now on (I am writing this 6 weeks later and I am sad to report, it isn't).  I look down at my phone and see that I missed a call, and all I hear is "Dylan, head, hospital" and I break into a sprint.  Andrew called a minute later, told me D fell and we needed to take her to the hospital.  I huffed it to the car and sped off (btw I should have added speeding tickets into the cost of sending my kids to school there because getting one this year is inevitable.  Yes I can get to their school in 17 minutes, no, not driving the speed limit).

Andrew and I both made it to school at same time.  It was a bit of a "yes I sent my kids to school far away" moment for me.   She had class pictures that day and I had told her not to hurt her dress.  She had blood all over it as she fell in to Andrew's arms.  She had gotten her legs caught up in her chair as she was trying to move the chair out but had her hands full of apples for snack.  She fell back and hit her head on the ledge of a shelf, giving herself a pretty big gash.

We drove over to the CMPC children's ER, 152 steps from our apartment.  It was amazing.  They started by giving her a choice of about 100 movies (she picked Finding Nemo).  Then a nurse came in and, using a doll, showed D exactly what they were going to do.  She watched Nemo for 40 minutes while the numbing ointment took effect.  She cried pretty hard as the 2 staples went in but was quickly given a sticker and popsicle.

All you need to do is look at the picture to see how Pippa felt about all this.  She got to spend the day with her sister (she misses them something awful right now), she got to watch a video, she got a sticker, she got to play with a doll, and she got a popsicle. What is not to love? She was in heaven.

Before school
At ER




2 Staples

No comments: