Thursday, June 09, 2011

Graduation

C
D
Getting into the singing
We are big girls now
Saying goodbye to friends
Chicken Bok Bok
Jokesters
D saying goodbye to a teacher
Partner dancing with her favorite boy (and the son of one of my best friends from college!)

C getting her diploma
Someday I will show them this when he won't give them a second look


C and D graduated from preschool today. It was maybe the sweetest thing I have ever seen in my life. From the moment that the director got teary about how much he would miss the class, to the moment they walked in singing It's a Small World, to the finale of Grand Old Flag complete with a side kicks and flag waving, I was in heaven. Many of the the songs had been sung for the past 30 years so it had an almost retro feel to the event. C and D are very animated when they sing so it was so much fun to watch them.

For their graduation I let them each pick out a dress that was their last 'present' from Gumma. C, surprisingly, didn't pick something pink, and wanted to wear a red bow, while D's dress had some pink in it---which really confused some people. But they were happy with what they chose and I am starting to realize that is all that matters.

In addition to the singing the kids had taken weeks making a robot. They also each suggested a name for it... C was a little disappointed more people didn't like "Rainbow" while D was thrilled that her suggestion of "Robotcha" was a top contender. In the end, "Chicken Bok Bok" won and the kids were thrilled that after yelling "Move Chicken Bok Bok!" over and over at the top of their lungs, THE ROBOT MOVED. Wonders never cease. I think it was the broken Iphone 3 that C used to make up her part of the robot, or the taxi toy car D used for her body part, that did the trick.

I sat there the whole time wondering how the past 5 years had gone so quickly and how I was going to make it through Lila's graduation intact if she is in fact my last one. I can't even think about it now without getting upset.

I hope their graduation is one of the snapshots that passes before me right before I leave this earth.

No comments: