Sunday, October 03, 2010

The Jig is Up


(The girls at an imaginary worlds summer camp--as a fairy and a mermaid)

I don't like princesses. (And if I might add --obnoxiously--I don't understand why I seem to be so alone in this endeavor.) My battle against the princesses has actually been pretty easy to date. We don't have much disney stuff, and since the girls have never seen any movies or read any books about them they can kind of make the princesses whatever they want to when they inevitably show up in some Target purchase. Until recently they called them all mermaids (at least mermaids swim!)

But yesterday they went to a birthday party for a little girl from their new school (which we LOVE). She is a really nice girl and her party was really sweet (and it was our first drop off party--big fan of that!) When I picked the girls up "Princess Aurora" was there. The girls were fascinated. And ever since they have been educating me on princesses.

C: (Incredulous) "Mom, did you know, princesses don't just do nothing!?!
Me: "Oh really, what do they do?"
C: "They face paint!"
D: "And they kill bad fairies!"
C: "And they make tea."
D: "And they walk through the forest."
Me: "What do they do in the forest?"
D: "Talk to squirrels and things."
Me: "Do they study the animals?"
D: (Scrunching up her nose) "Mmmm, not really. They mostly just look at things."
D: "But we can't play with squirrels like she can. Because her world is different."
Me: "And where is her world?"
C: "Disneyland!"

At least they have determined that they cannot be princesses because I am not a Queen. And C got wind of the notion of a boy needing to be involved for someone to be a princess which I find particularly annoying about the princess thing. (Well that and The entitlement part, the focus on beauty, the servants....)

I don't think we are going to be completely princessized anytime soon, but I still resent you Disney.

No comments: