Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Separation

C in yellow in both pics, d, oddly in pink in both pics

This week I put C and D in different camps for the first time. D went to "Summer Time Rock Out" Camp (or "Rock Star Camp" as D called it) and C went to Superheroes Camp in the afternoon. It has been a pain in the ass for me because one goes 9-noon and one goes 1-4 and I have to cross the GG bridge to get them there, but I think it has been a very, very good experience for both. They get more time with me alone, and they get to experience going to something on their own.

D has loved it from the moment she got there, maybe because I think it might be a cooler camp. But D is also a little more independent and comfortable in her own skin so to speak. And although she is less social and outgoing, she doesn't seem to mind it that she isn't buddying up with anyone in particular. Besides, she is telling everyone that she is in a 'real rock band' now, so she thinks she is super cool.

C had a tougher time the first day. C likes to 'belong' and she hates feeling left out. Her group had more 'rowdy' boys than Ds (though both camps had more boys than girls) and C had a hard time with that at first. But the second day two things happened. First C got a Red Ribbon on her first day back to swim class in a month. All that swimming in TX and Carmel paid off. D wasn't there but I hope hers isn't far behind. Then C went to camp on the second day and befriended one of the two other girls there and from that point on she was happy.

I am so proud of them, and so comforted to see how they are developing socially in terms of their relationship to each other and others. They obviously love each other very,very much. I think being separated has only made that more obvious to them as well. But they also need a break from each other once in a while. I keep trying to explain to them that it is really ok to get tired of each other (I tell them I'd get tired of Andrew too if I spent all the time with them) but that it is not ok to be mean about it. So pain as it is, I'm really glad I did it.
Add Image


No comments: