Monday, June 14, 2010

A Lonestar State of Mind










We just returned from Texas for a little over a week. Yes, it was hot. No, C and D did not melt. In fact, they seemed to thrive in it. Once they figured out that hot weather = swim weather it was "Bring it On." Of course, I am writing this a bit too late so some of the nuances are lost on me, but these are the things they would list as highlights:

  • Swimming, swimming and more swimming. Jumping off the diving boards, going down the tunnel slides, going to the really awesome water park in West U, slip and sliding, and swimming, swimming, swimming. (btw, the biggest water lover of them all turned out to be LBD)
  • Playing with their cousins. The 4 year olds definitely enjoyed getting to rule by majority.
  • Watching their bad ass cousin break two more swim records at her meet.
  • (This is LBD talking, if she could:) Getting lots of attention from her cousin Ainsley.
  • Playing for hours inside the Erwins house with Avery and Cooper (the house is a kids paradise--it is fantastic).
  • Picking sweet gumballs in Gram and Sam's backyard.
  • Going 'ghost crabbing' in Galveston at dusk. C loved it, D was a bit frightened but felt better when all the crabs we found were dead.
  • Going to NASA and getting to visit "Michigan Control." Eating astronaut-approved freeze dried ice cream bars.
  • Eating a flaming volcano at the Rainforest Cafe.
  • Going to to the Astros game and getting to abide by Sam's "one item an inning" rule.
  • Being able to wear nothing more than a dress or tshirt and shorts.
As for their parents (Andrew joined us midway through the trip) speaking for myself I had an awesome time too. It was great to see friends, we were so glad to be able to attend (and oversee judging) for the Second Annual Queso Contest at Todd's. It made me realize that A) I miss warmer weather. Ok, so TX heat, as I remember it, gets really old by August, but not having a summer sucks and I REALLY miss seeing my kids' arms and legs. And B) I am ready to live in the suburbs. I will miss city life but the conveniences of suburban life --and having a yard--now outweigh the benefits of city life for me.

Thank you kindly Texas. My kids can't wait to get back.

No comments: