Wednesday, June 13, 2012

More Quotes

Lila sings a song from school about traffic lights, and the song says that yellow means very very slow. Often when driving I hear...
L: "Mom, the song says "Yellow means bery bery slow."  Why is it that you go very very fast?"


Or when we are waiting for another car to move I will hear C say...
"Move dude."


C has a friend at school named Cooper.  He is sweet and kind and absurdly smart.  One day C was complaining that another boy in class teased her when she didn't win a math game (a game, for the record, you win or lose by chance).  I told her that maybe he was just feeling sad about something someone said to him, or that maybe he was insecure about his own math skills (only kid in their class I don't like, for the record again).
C: "Cooper is the best in the class at reading AND math.  And he's always nice to me." (Then, more to herself than me....) "I think I might marry him..."


C refers to her best friend as "Claire, she's the girl I fell in love with..."

(We did tried to xpleain that you can't really fall in love until you are a grown up.)


I found LBD putting sunblock all over her doll.  L, "I am putting sun block all over her because I am a great mom!"


LBD loves to talk--everywhere but in school.  She can often be heard to say "It is my turn to tell the story."  (And then we just hope she will stop talking at some point)


When traveling I pulled out a toothbrush and told L that it was an adult toothbrush.  (At home we have electric toothbrushes). "No mommy that not an adult toothbrush. Adult toothbrushes go 'bzzzzzzzz.'"



Somehow we started talking about soft drinks and why it was so bad for you.  We were talking about how bad food can lead people to be unhealthy, and that even some kids end up weighing more than a healthy weight.  
D: "Some kids weigh too much? I way too less."


We had an event at school and Andrew would be out of town, but all the grandparents would be there.  They were having a big debate over who would pair up with me and who would pair up with Sam (it involved kneeling and the girls decided that my Mom was too short, Chris was too tall, and Gram's knees didn't work well enough).  I realized that they were guessing numbers, and that the winner got to be with sam.  Me: "You mean the loser gets me?!?!"



Dylan has this guttural sound she makes when she doesn't like something. It sounds like "Uhhggrrrrmmm."  Example:
D: "Where are we going?"
Me: "Church." 
D: "What are we going to do there?"
Me: "Listen to the priest."
D: "Uhhggrrrmmm."
(It is, admittedly, hard not to laugh.  And I kind of want to make that sound often too).

I asked C to remind me of something later in the day.  C's response? "Mom please don't ask me to remind you. Ask Siri."


One night after I put the kids to bed I was looking all over for my computer.  I started to think I one of the kids had thrown it out the window.  Finally after frantically looking I hear a yell from Lila's room, "Mom, I think I know what you are looking for?!?!"
Me: "You do?"
L: "Your computer."
Me: "Uh, yes."
L: "It is behind my chair!"
(yep, it was)
L: "You weren't being nice to me so I hid it.  But I did NOT hide your cord!"


We ran into a friend who had just had her third girl. L was mesmerized by the baby. As we walked away she said to herself. "I think I am going to ask for one for my half birthday."
Me: "What?"
L: "A baby sister."
And then a day later in a kids store.
"Mom, since I'm asking for a baby sister for my half birthday, can I buy these sparkly shoes for her?"
Names the girls would choose for future siblings:
D:  Maya or Tommy
C:  Gracie or Victor
L: Lila or Flip Flip (Or Kaitlyn and Lop Lop)

Sometimes Lila and I will be talking or going through things we need to get done and LBD will just bust out with "Ok, well I love you."  I wish I could bottle it.  


C: "I like to say words that challenge my mouth."


L:  "Can I have some Buggle gum?  I don't swallow it!" Please? Just one piece?"
(And then a few minutes later) "Two is not a lot you know.  Can I have two pieces of buggle gum?"
("One is not a lot, two is not a lot, and three is not a lot is frequently said by LBD).



We were talking about boarding school.  D asked me if she would go and I said unequivocally NO!  But then I told her she would probably want to go away to college someday. 
D: "Mom, I am going to live with you until I am dead." Pause. "Well, actually, until you're dead."


D hates cigarettes.  She wanted to know why people smoked which led us to the topic of addiction.  She wanted to know what addiction meant and I tried to explain it with a G rating.  I tried to get her to understand it on her terms.  
Me:  "D, sometimes people just can't get through a day without something.  Say, coffee, for example." 
D: "Oh, I see. Ok, so I'm addicted to hugs."


C was asking me about a hundred questions about war.  At the end, she came to this conclusion. "So war is like a big game of hide and seek... with guns."


Andrew found a pen mark on the lampshade in the living room.
A: "Lila did you draw on the lampshade?"
L"  No...." Pointing at him... "Did you??"


I was driving with L and said out loud "I wish I knew where a Starbucks was."
L yelled excitedly, "Mom give me the phone!!  I will ask Siri where there is a Starbucks!"
______________________________________________________________________

D put something up high and then taunted L because she couldn't reach it. 
Me: "Dylan I might think twice before doing that to her."
D: "Why?"
Me: "Because she could be taller than you someday."
D (Slowly): "Someday." (Pause, deadpan) "But not today."
Even better, about 10 minutes later she asked me for help retrieving the item because "Well technically I can't really reach that either."  My sweet, tiny, tiny D. 
__________________________________________________________________

No comments: