If I could speak to him on his 65th birthday, I would apologize that I brought my kids looking less than picture perfect. These days, we consider it a success just to get somewhere. I would tell him that as I was trying to get us out the door D looked at me without a hint of unkindness and said, "Mom, it's ok if we are late. He's not going anywhere." I would tell him about the discussion we had about cremation as we drove into the cemetery that ended with D saying firmly, "I am NOT going to be abbreviated when I die." I would tell him that they are kinder to each other in one day than my sister and I were to each other in a month, and I would apologize. And I would tell him that everyone wished him a very happy birthday (and may even have used his special day as an excuse for dessert).
Wednesday, January 25, 2012
January 25
If I could speak to him on his 65th birthday, I would apologize that I brought my kids looking less than picture perfect. These days, we consider it a success just to get somewhere. I would tell him that as I was trying to get us out the door D looked at me without a hint of unkindness and said, "Mom, it's ok if we are late. He's not going anywhere." I would tell him about the discussion we had about cremation as we drove into the cemetery that ended with D saying firmly, "I am NOT going to be abbreviated when I die." I would tell him that they are kinder to each other in one day than my sister and I were to each other in a month, and I would apologize. And I would tell him that everyone wished him a very happy birthday (and may even have used his special day as an excuse for dessert).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment