C asked me a science question I didn't know, and I said we would google the answer when we got home.
C: "How does Google know all these things???"
____________________________________________________________
D: (Crawling into our bed in the morning, and after laying quietly for 5 minutes): "Daddy?"
A: "Yes sweetheart."
D: "You smell."
A: (laughing) "I do?"
D: "Like melted chocolate. (pause) Not as bad as poop though."
_________________________________________________________________
D: Watching football...Andrew says "Looks like they are going to keep it."
D asked a few more strange questions, and then said "Oh, I thought you meant they got to take the football home."
_____________________________________________________________
A few weeks after school started we were waiting to start a tennis lesson at a nearby park, and the University High girls tennis team arrived and started practicing on nearby courts. The girls were mesmerized.
After a while C whispers quietly, "Mom, do they EVER see their Moms and Dads?"
(6 hours of school is a big change for a little girl).
_______________________________________________
We were getting a frozen yogurt and discussing Native American names. D and C were coming up with theirs.
Me: "What would Daddy's native American name be?"
C: "How 'bout "Lives in Airplane."
Me: "And mine?"
D: (Scrunching up her nose, smacking her lips with her 'umm,' and tilting her head to ponder) "Ummm....maybe .... 'Acts Angry.'"
___________________________________________________
Sometimes when the girls get upset they ask for a hug to calm themselves down. But it often feels like they use it as an excuse to get out of trouble, and that even with the hug they go right on behaving badly. So I went to a talk that gave very detailed explanations for handling these situations for 5-6 year olds, including saying "I would like you to calm yourself down, and I want to hug you with a calm heart, and I don't have a calm heart right now." Anyway so I tried this and it seemed to be working and I was feeling all uppity -- clearly my ace parenting skills were helping to develop their emotional intelligence.
Then one day D gets throws a fit about something and as she is whining for a hug, C says to her, "Dylan Mom can't hug you because she can't find her...wait, what's that thing you need again? Oh yeah, a compart. She needs a compart to hug you."
_________________________________________________
We were discussing what I should be for Halloween. We talked about how I could be a witch since C was going to be Dorothy.
Me: "Should I be a good witch or an evil witch?"
C: "Mom, you'd do evil witch much better."
Thursday, November 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment