D's best friend at school (besides, as she will tell you, here sister C) is a little boy named Ford.
Ford is adorable. I can always pick out the boys the girls will like--because they are the types of boys I always imagine I would have if I had a son. They go for kind but not wimpy, sporty boyish over superhero boyish, outgoing but never obnoxious, and handsome but not pretty looks. They like the boys who play with them, not chase them or just bug them physically. At this age at least, they have great taste.
Ford and D are in a club together. The members are Ford, D, and "of course C" as D says. It is a spy club. Maybe that is why she asked for the spy car for xmas. C loves Ford too, and now every time we name something ("The Elf on the Shelf", C's future brother that she keeps urging me to have), C suggests we name it Ford. But D sees him more because they are in the same class.
Seeing her with Ford makes me SO glad that I didn't send her to an all girls school. Having both genders around provides such a great balance in temperaments, something all my kids seem to like. And going to a co-ed school comes with added benefits. The other day D comes home and says "Mom, I think I learned the real F word today." And of course I asked her what she thought it was, and let me tell you, it is really hard not to laugh out loud when your 37lber whispers the word F%&K into your ear with emphasis. I asked her how she found out and she said "Well I told Ford I thought I knew what the F word was. But I thought it was 'fart.' It wasn't." Miraculously, the word came up only once again the next day--as D waxed poetic on why it was so much worse than fart until I told her if I heard it again I would have to give her a teaspoon of tabasco in her mouth, which reduced D to tears because she really didn't get it before--and then never since.
Yesterday C announced that "Mom, you wouldn't believe it, but everyone has a boyfriend. They think you are supposed to in kindergarten" Then she shakes her head in disgust. (yeah!) I turned to D and asked her, "Do people say Ford is your boyfriend?" D says, "Umm, no. Me and Ford tell everyone that boyfriends are for when you want to get married, or are, like, a teenager. And I don't think I ever want to get married anyway."
Tuesday, November 08, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment