Sunday, May 09, 2010

Pirate Booty



About the most boastful I have felt as a parent is when I recently told someone I met "I secretly think Dylan could be the Tina Fey of her generation." Given how the person looked at me, I think they were trying to figure out why I would want that. (how could you not?!!?)

Obviously I am getting ahead of myself (just a tad), but here are a few things in my defense:

--I found her in front of the mirror the other day making funny faces. She kept at it for a LONG time. Finally I asked her what she was doing--- "I'm trying to learn how to raise one eyebrow."

--One of her favorite things to do is to have me 'make the faces' that she makes. She can spend 15 minutes watching how different facial expressions she makes look on me.

--One day after she did something particularly odd, I said--mostly to myself--- "Where did you come from?" From behind me, in a "to herself tone," I hear "Your belly."

--One day D comes home and tells me that "Some of the kids at school call a bum a 'booty.' She was clearly very pleased with this discovery. I steered the conversation in another direction but a bit later I find D in the corner of her room, in her pirate pjs, sort of talking to herself. I hear her say, to herself "Booty." Then she gives out a deep little chuckle and says, to herself like she's storing it away for future use, "I like that word."

C's humor, on the other hand, is a little more subtle, but equally entertaining. C is either funny because she sounds like a grownup, or funny because she is so expressive in her telling of something, or she is funny in a sort of dry way. Best example:

The other day C watched Lila walk. Casually, she turned to her sister and said "Hey Li, good job. Now all you need to do is learn how to talk."

1 comment:

Kallie Tett said...

I just can not get over how big Charlotte and Dylan are! They are growing up to be such gorgeous and funny ladies :) I sure hope Dylan turns out to be the next Tina Fey... I can tell everyone I watched her when she was little. She is well on her way the way she's going!