Thursday, September 14, 2006

Thank you Sameer and LJ

Babies require a lot o' Stuff.

When we first started looking for 'stuff' it went like this....
Molly: "Andrew, I want the double snap 'n go stroller...it is not that expensive and we will need it for first 6+ months before we get a regular double stroller."
Andrew: "You don't know what you want (this sounds worse than it actually does when it comes out of his mouth). Let me show you what I think you want." (He shows me some big complicated stroller that in theory will work as our one stroller, but in reality would just suck all the way around).
Then a week later:
Andrew: "Uh, I did a little more research. I think you are right. We need the double snap 'n go to start."
You think? Really?

And thus began the process by which I started making almost all purchasing decisions. I bought the cribs, bumpers, stroller, high chairs, etc. on my own. I asked Andrew for his opinion sometimes but then just made the final purchase. Sometimes this stressed him out, and sometimes he acted like he could have made a better purchase, or maybe I had spent too much, or whatever. But then a wonderful thing happened...

LJ got pregnant. And every time we have called them for the past few months I hear Sameer saying to Andrew "We're shopping for more baby gear, you know how it is..." to which Andrew replies "totally man." Then he gets off the phone and I look at him and say "No you don't know how it is." And then he thinks about it and says "You're right, and THANK YOU." So Sameer has helped Andrew realize that sometimes having your wife spend a little more than you'd like on a purchase is well worth not having to actually be involved in the purchase itself. Now Andrew stays involved in the stuff he likes---anything technology-related and anything he'll use a ton (like the large ottoman)---and he generally leaves me alone for the rest of it. It's like a 10% TAX that he is willing to pay in a manner of speaking. So THANK YOU SAMEER for allowing me to actually get "credit" for not involving Andrew in these purchases : )

Oh, and the other benefit? LJ now knows everything there is to know about every piece of baby gear out there...even things she doesn't need yet like double strollers? So I returned my copy of Baby Bargains and now I just call LJ when I need to research a product. It is AWESOME.

No comments: